Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Meta Search Engines

Is my name 'HarshaW' ??

No, because, dogpile and webcrawler both suggested that I was possibly trying to mean HarshaW.

Just for fun, I typed the following query on Google 'Search Engine'. I was expecting to find Google on #1. But, did you know what appeared on my screen?? Just something like this -

Surprise, the age old Dogpile appears first. Google is at #4.

Then I turned towards Dogpile, to see if it can search for my name. The results are -

Dismayed, I sought webcrawlers help. I can say that it gave me close searches as possible.

Now just to show other example, lets see our dear Yahoo.

Lo, comes no surprise that search.yahoo.com appears at the top. No wonder they are using MSNs results. Surprisingly, the whole list appears as almost the reverse of what Google shows. So, can we say that MSN or Live uses some algorithm reverse of Google ;) Maybe it can also be called Rankbill or BillRank. (The more bill you pay, the more rank you get ;)

BTW, can someone tell me what HarshaW means? Even Webster and respective engines were not able to tell it to me ;)

And yes, even look at the address bar carefully. Esp, those meta search engines that provide results from couple of other engines.

So, moral of the story is that stick to major search engines for better results. Many times, the mixed results can cause confusion. Now-a-days I am using Answers.com, (previously known as Gurunet) as it is offering good and relevant results most of time, but I feel its a little slow in displaying the results. Otherwise, I am happy about this engine.

4 Comments:

Blogger Renu Vyas said...

Back after a break from blogworld..enjoyed reading the posts I had missed :)

June 20, 2006 5:02 PM  
Blogger Harshad Joshi said...

Hey, is that you??

Nice to see you back after a long time.

Good luck for your new posts.

June 20, 2006 7:26 PM  
Blogger Renu Vyas said...

yeah its very much "me" :)
adding you to my list of friends..hope thats ok ? :)

June 22, 2006 6:08 PM  
Blogger Harshad Joshi said...

Thank you for considering me as your friend ;)

June 22, 2006 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home